Friday, September 14, 2007

Fox Reviews

So we didn't actually go to the Fox party. In hindsight that may have been a mistake as it was the first and there are a number of catering issues that have come up. Was the wine actually good on the first night? Did people drink all the Heineken or was there never any to begin with? We may never know.

Although I haven't seen any of Fox's pilots, I feel qualified to judge them nonetheless. Clearly Fox is not having a banner year. It's somewhat sad considering there is some really good programming on the network. None of the shows premiering this year are in any danger of joining that category. Let's take a look at the contestants:



K-Ville: This one screened first, so clearly this is what Fox is most proud of from the new season. Tough choice to make for Fox. It must like when Joe Jackson is asked which son he's most proud of right now. Putting aside for a second the fact that Anthony Anderson is headlining a show, this program doesn't look offensive. From the ads and the clips made available, this looks like a standard issue buddy cop procedural without the sharp writing that might redeem such a setup. K-ville's hook- and I think I'm slightly offended by this- is that it's set in post-Katrina New Orleans. So each week we'll be spoon fed what the writing staff thinks is some important social commentary. This show is on against Heroes, Dancing With the Stars, and Two and a Half Men. That means two things:
1) My TV will not be on for that hour
2) K-Ville will not do well in the ratings
That being said, I think Fox wants to keep this on the air. It probably thinks K-Ville is really significant. It will probably make it to season 2.

Would I Watch It: No



Back to You: This is clearly made to manufacture hype. Kelsey Grammer and Patricia Heaton are back on TV! They're bickering with each other! They're anchorpeople! If any of those things made you the least bit excited, please leave now. I don't remember how I felt about Frasier going off the air; I suspect ambivalent. I do, however, remember cheering the end of Everybody Loves Raymond. I don't want to see any of those people on my TV ever again. My own biases aside, let's look at the facts. Despite the cast, Fox doesn't consider this show worthy of being at the top of the screening slate. That means it has not tested well. If it's not as good as K-ville what hope is there? The bottom line is that this is a multi-camera half hour sitcom. The format is quickly nearing extinction for a reason. You still see them every once in a while and CBS is trying to keep them alive; but the fact of the matter is that good comedy writers now have alternatives and they are exploring them. It's up against some unknown commodities and Deal or No Deal. I don't think it stands much of a chance even if Pushing Daisies doesn't find the audience it deserves. I give it 3 episodes. I will add that Fox may keep this show around even if it's a critical and ratings failure like with 'Til Death. However, within 3 episodes it'll probably have a time slot change or a big retool.

Would I Watch It: No



Nashville: The Hills on a network and set in Nashville; who thought this was a good idea? Clearly not Fox because they're burying it on Friday night and premiering it with pretty much no press tonight. This won't be good. It will probably be cancelled as soon as the overnight ratings come in a la Anchorwoman. Hopefully it will be a warning to other networks not to try this kind of "reality" in the future.

If you're interested, you can watch the full first episode here:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/video.aspx?id=nashville_full

I'm not and I won't. I won't be TiVoing this tonight, either. This seems redundant but...

Would I Watch It: Hell No



Kitchen Nightmares: I LOVE the British original of this show. The setup, as per the British version, is that Gordon Ramsay comes into struggling restaurants that are often driving their owners into bankruptcy and he offers the harsh, honest advice on how to fix them and generate business. I'm not sure about this new version because I've noticed something about the Gordon Ramsay that appears on Fox- he's a caricature of the Gordon Ramsay on British TV. On Hell's Kitchen he's meaner, more annoying, and less knowledgeable than he is on The F Word or Kitchen Nightmares UK. I hope he's more like himself on this show because Gordon Ramsay can actually be a witty, charming man and his behavior actually makes sense when it's put in context like it is on the original version of this show. Kitchen Nightmares reminds you that he is a talented chef who understands food and the business of running restaurants. If this show stays true to its roots it will be great. I don't know if it is capable of generating network-sized ratings because it's not like anything on network TV right now so I'm not comfortable predicting its fate.

Would I Watch It: Yes- but I may change my mind once I see it

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home