Saturday, September 22, 2007

Dexter Season 2: Don't Bother

So, I downloaded the first two episodes of the second season of Showtime's "serial killer" drama. I put "serial killer" in "quotes" because 1) he doesn't actually kill anybody at all, and 2) somewhere around episode 3 of the first season the decision was made to turn this into an incredibly shitty police procedural that bears a closer resemblance to a retarded version of Homicide: Life on the Street with fetal alcohol syndrome than Jeff Lindsay's original novel.

"OH BOO HOO I'M THE LAMEST SERIAL KILLER EVER ALSO I DON'T EVEN ACT LIKE A SOCIOPATH BECAUSE MY WRITERS SUCK"

I've basically summed up Dexter's entire internal monologue for the first episode as well as the subtext of every single line of the script. Apparently Showtime assumed that when you're making a show that revolves around a serial killer, what the audience really wants to see is a combination of said serial killer going bowling and then impotently whining about how they're unable to bring themselves to kill. I can't believe Thomas Harris didn't realize this when he was writing Silence of the Lambs, he could have really broken new ground when Hannibal Lecter explained to Clarice the intense psychological significance of Buffalo Bill making a seven-ten split. Remind me again why this show is on the air?

I'm not even going to comment on how bad the rest of this episode sucked, such as a thrilling look at the office politics of Lieutenant Who Gives a Shit and Detective Boring Vestigial Character, not to mention the ongoing drama of Dexter's girlfriend and her worthless wifebeating ex-husband, but suffice to say there is not a single interesting plot point or believable character beat in this entire miserable episode. I deleted the second episode after 10 minutes, and felt utterly disgusted that I had even watched it that long.

Would I Watch It: No, and you should feel bad about yourself if you do.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home